According to a recent survey conducted by the University of Kentucky and the National Pest Management Association, exterminators agree that bed bugs are the most difficult pest to treat. In fact it can take 2 to 3 treatments to fully rid a home or apartment of the insects.
Hiring a Professional for Bed Bug Extermination
Extermination can be expensive, with exterminators charging for Pest Eliminators Batavia IL 60510 the in-home visit and for the treatment itself. Treatment methods also vary. It can cost from $50 to $400 for an in-home inspection (the high end if a dog is used to detect hiding places), with the treatment costing from $1,000 to $6,000 (most closer to $1,000, the high end for thermal remediation – where portable heaters are sued).
Because of the Batavia IL 60510 high cost, it pays to get several estimates. We suggest starting with a call to the Service Magic Network (1.877.233.1145) since they provide 4 free estimates and only accept local contractors into the network that are pre-screened, licensed and insured.
Ask each exterminator:
1. What methods are used for extermination (insecticides, freezing sprays, heat, vacuuming, fumigation)
2. Experience of the company and the individual Pest Eliminators Batavia IL 60510 that will be sent to do the job
3. Guarantees (2 to 3 treatments are normal). and how long is the guarantee for
5. Child and pet safety during treatment
6. Time you will need to be out of the home
7. Required preparation prior to treatment
8. Can they treat electronics
Do It Yourself Bed Bug Extermination
It takes a combination of products and methods to Batavia IL 60510 kill the insects. This includes vacuuming, steam, and natural or chemical based insecticides. We suggest purchasing a kit, since these include the products and information needed to do the job right.
Kits typically contain:
1. A knock down spray to reduce the size of the insect population
2. A residual spray for lasting protection
3. Fossil dust as the last treatment step to kill any Batavia IL 60510 late hatching bed bugs you might have missed
Other items you might want include:
1. Mattress and Box Spring covers to trap any insects and eggs you might have missed
2. A trap, which is a helpful way to know if your treatment has been successful. If it stays empty for 2 to 3 weeks after treatment, you know that you have been successful
3. Batavia IL 60510 A bin or Ziploc big bags to carry linen and other items from the room being treated to the washing machine
4. A hand steamer to generate the heat needed to kill the insects (often used as a first step, followed by insecticide based spray products)
It all comes down to cost. If you can afford a professional, go this route. If you Batavia IL 60510 can’t, a kit is an economical way to treat an infestation that is just starting to take hold.